Monday, March 8, 2010

Proud

Today, I realized something.

I'm kinda proud of myself. (not because I realized something, but because I'm actually proud of myself....sigh...read on)

If you know my career background, you'll know that I took Radio Broadcasting at Loyalist College in Belleville. I loved it. I was the only female Production Major in my graduating class of 25 students, with a great internship lined up. I was going places.

I rocked my internship, and then landed a job part time that turned into fulltime, and worked there for a couple of years. I then was in the right place at the right time, and the same position came up for a local Ottawa radio station group. I made the move to Ottawa from my parents, and I worked in the big station for a couple of years.

Then I stopped caring. It wasn't what I wanted to do anymore. I was angry at my boss all the time, angry with the big-wigs for not letting me grow within the station, and eventually, I was let go.

I came across my current job - Community Relations Coordinator - at Boston Pizza through a girlfriend of mine. I wasn't sure about the job, but it was something different and I wanted to try it out.

Turns out, I'm pretty darn good at what I do :)

I found that Marketing & Event Planning is exactly where I'm supposed to be. I love being able to use the left side of my brain (ie: the creative side) and coming up with awesome ideas that make people think about our restaurant whenever they think about going out for a meal.

In one year of working at BP, I was nominated, and won, Young Business Person 2009 in the Orleans Chamber of Commerce People's Choice Business Awards. OMG. Never did I imagine that I would have won - there were so many amazing people nominated. When they called my name, I went up on the stage to accept my award, and was in awe.

At the end of 2009, I was nominated by my Franchisees for the CRC of the Year contest for Boston Pizza International. A contest that brings forth the Top 10 biggest and brightest CRC's across the country, and then requires a portfolio submission. Last Friday, I found out that I came in 2nd place!! (Of course a little disappointed about not being first, but Ry & my family and my friends were quick to remind me how amazing 2nd place really is) 2nd place - wow.

In 2010, I have had an amazing quarter so far, fantastic corporate feedback, Franchisees that are very proud to have me on their team, and a brain that has been coming up with great ideas for promotions left, right & centre.

I've been creating stepping stones for my future in the past year & half. I have won amazing awards that I never even would have been nominated for when I was in radio. Awards that I would have probably never even heard of.

I'm not bragging, being proud of yourself is a totally different thing. I sometimes still can't believe what I've accomplished.

Another great thing? Seeing Ryan being proud of my accomplishments. He's never stopped believing in me, and pushes me to go for everything. I know he would be proud of me even if I didn't win.

Since it's International Women's Day, I'd love for you to take the opportunity to remember something that you're proud of. Anything - name it.

Dream big, then make it happen!

No comments: