Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My "Homecoming" Day

Some parents aren't able to have children.

Some turn to fertility treatments, some turn to deciding against having children.

And some, like my parents, turn to adoption :)

My parents were told for years that they would not conceive naturally.  So, they adoped my older brother Kevin.  A handsome baby boy that was 4 1/2 months old, and who needed a Mom & Dad to love him.  A perfect match.

3 1/2 years later, my parents wanted a sibling for Kevin.  The CAS (Children's Aid Society) called my parents to tell them that they had a little sister, 2 1/2 months old, for Kevin, and that we actually looked alike, even though we had different parents.

27 years ago today, my parents came to bring me home, naming me Leslie Scott.

My parents always tease me saying my junk/fast food addiction comes from them stopping at Burger King after getting me for lunch.

Have you considered adoption?

My birth mother gave me up for adoption, as I was born out of wedlock, and she had 2 children of her own from a previous marriage. 

Would my life have been different if I wasn't adopted?  Yes.

I would not have the unconditional love my Mom & Dad have given me in the past 27 years.  Thick, thin, up, down, good, bad, ugly.  My parents are my parents.  I have my Mom's sense of humor, and my Dad's caring nature.  I would not be Leslie Scott, but Jessica Armstrong (name at birth), and would not be close who I am today.  My morals and values would not be the same.  My heart would not be the same. 

My parents were eventually blessed (and very surprised) to find out they were pregnant with our little sister Sarah, who was born with blonde blonde hair and fair skin. 

It's funny when you look at our family.   We all fit together.  Kevin & I have dark hair, olive skin, dark eyes, just like Dad.  Sarah is fair, with light hair, and is a spitting image of Mom.  We all just piece together like a puzzle that was waiting to be put together.

I am grateful every day for the decision of my parents to adopt, and I'm so blessed that someone Up There ^ chose my parents for me to belong to.  I couldn't have lived my life without them.

xo Leslie

4 comments:

Capital Mom said...

That is a lovely post. Sounds like you all very lucky to have found each other.

Janine Murray said...

Loved the post and I feel the exact same way!!
I was blessed to be adopted into a wonderful Christian home and I am so grateful, both to my birth parents and to my adoptive parents (who to me are my parents).
I would not be who I am today without both decisions.
<3

Rebecca said...

beautiful post - it sounds like you have a wonderful family

Amy said...

This made me a little teary eyed. What a beautiful post!